Do You Sense God’s Pleasure From Work?
If you have kids, you probably know the pleasure you get when your child works hard at something because they want to be like you. “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” comes to mind (a quote by Charles Caleb Colton).
I remember working in the garden one spring digging holes to plant potatoes. I turned around and saw my Daughter with a small shovel digging holes just like I was. She was grunting and digging and working hard. I was so pleased with her, and was a proud father.
God is pleased when we work hard, and is proud of us. He created work for us (Genesis 2:15) and set the example of hard work in Genesis 1. He worked each day, and in the evening said the day’s work was good. He showed us to work hard for 6 days, and then take one day off to rest (Genesis 2:2-3).
When I look at His creation; the beauty and complexity of His work (it’s easy to do so, I see the mountains and wildlife of Montana every day), I am compelled to praise Him, and am inspired to work hard and create something too. I know it pleases Him.
Working is very important to God, here are some examples:
- He said if we don’t work, we don’t eat. 2 Thessalonians 3:10-12
- His favor will rest on us if we work hard. Psalm 90:17
- Our desires will be fully satisfied when we work hard. Proverbs 13:4
- We won’t be hungry. Proverbs 12:11
- He will establish (be accepted, have longevity of position) the work of our hands. Psalm 90:17
- Through Him, we will have strength to work. Philippians 4:13
- Hard work will be profitable. Proverbs 14:23
- We avoid poverty when we work. Proverbs 24:30-34
- Work is required of us with faith and belief in God. 1 Timothy 5:8
- God’s light can shine before others when you work well and hard. Matthew 5:16
- Work provides us with something to share. Ephesians 4:28
- God is glorified when we work good. Matthew 5:16
Work is not a 4-letter word, it’s a way for God to bless us, and for us to praise and glorify Him. When I put in a full day of hard work, I know God is proud of me, and I feel God’s pleasure…like that proud father planting potatoes in the garden.